A few weeks ago I wrote about the iguanas that live here on the island. I talked about one iguana in particular, whom Justin affectionately named Billy. One afternoon I was able to snap a fairly decent picture of him. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Billy the iguana! This picture was taken from the balcony. He is so big that you can see him from about 50 feet away sitting in his favorite tree each afternoon. Note the dinosaur like physical features.
Iguanas are so abundant on the island that the USVI Department of Tourism also uses them for friendly PSA reminders around town. This sign reminds all of us who drive on the islands, especially newcomers and tourists, to drive left and to visit your local Diamonds International.
With his stern grimace who would not obey the rules? After all iguanas are known to be aggressive. During our first few weeks on the island our landlord told us that if an iguana got into the apartment to never back them into a corner. Just chase them out the door with a broom he added. We have yet to test this technique, but there is no doubt in my mind he was quite serious.
Speaking of tourism, Justin and I spent this past Saturday checking out some local tourist destinations or traps if you will.We walked along the waterfront and visited Havensight, Yacht Haven Grande and Main Street. All of which lacked diversity. The majority of the stores were jewelery, liquor and perfume stores. Very few contained clothing or something of a unique or original nature, which was all rather disappointing. The most interesting store we stumbled upon was a pirate shop. It had t-shirts with slogans like Polly wants a cocktail on them, and was the only shop that dared to do something different. Pretty sad if you ask me. I can finally understand why locals feel like the downtown area needs a little more excitement.
Along the way I took pictures of funny tourist things to embarrass Justin. He tries to pretend he does not know me when I act like a tourist by sheepishly walking ahead of me, but we all know the truth.
The cheesy name of this boat nearly killed me with laughter. Meet the boat known as Jolly Mon.
Me posing with my cruise ship and yachts.
This is true. The Danes left a lot of irregular steps and streets bearing the word Gade (meaning street) behind.
Justin walking down Dronningens Gade near Main Street. Note his hat. That is his new thing now.
What the sign says. By the way Mountain Top is where the Banana Daiquiri was invented, but it is a giant tourist trap that was recently rebuilt due to a devastating fire. Mountain Top has a great view of Magens Bay.
A staged mini shipwreck to give you some extra island flavor. As if we are in need of more.
I bet you did not know that I own all of these yachts. Yep, that is right. I own them in my dreams.
Well, I am hungry and it is time for me to eat lunch on the balcony. The water has the prettiest shades of blue today. You can see the bottom from here, which is quite unusual. Normally a strong current prevents us from seeing anything but crashing waves.
Sending all of you a bit of warmth from Fortuna Bay.
No comments:
Post a Comment