Tuesday, February 8, 2011

One more trip to the BMV

I got a new driver's license today, which means I had to go back to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles for another exciting trip. For whatever reason today's visit was not so hectic and bizarre as the first two trips I took two weeks ago. However, as a continental, it was a still a strange experience.


My brand new license from the Virgin Islands is my fourth license from a different state (or territory). In the other states I lived in I always had to take some sort of test in addition to handing in paperwork. In Maryland I had to take an eye test for renewal. North Carolina had me take an eye test, sign test and written test just to transfer my license. In Massachusetts I had to take an eye test. But here in the Virgin Islands? Well, it was nothing. All I had to do was bring my passport, social security card, attested driving record, my (former) current license and pay $45.00 for what looks like a fake ID. There was no eye test. Just a simple smile for the camera, a thumb print and signature, and just a few minutes later my license was ready. The process turned out to be amazingly simple in comparison to the first few nightmare trips I had to the BMV. Outside of the hour long wait of course.

Score one more point for progress! I officially live in the VI now.

Wishing you a pleasant evening! I am off to finish watching this sunset from the balcony:



No comments:

Post a Comment