|
the realization that you are stuck on which ever island you are living and not going anywhere.
Yep, that about sums up island fever and it is a sort of a claustrophobic feeling. The feeling was really getting to me. Some people told me they go on trips or go island hopping when they start to feel this way, but I am really not yet sure what the best way to cope with this bizarre feeling is. I think I will have to experience it a few more times in order to know how I can avoid or cope with island fever as best as possible when/before it strikes. One thing is for sure, the feeling was almost suffocating at times and unlike any other feeling I have felt thus far in my life. Luckily, we had some trips planned by the time island fever had hit me, and both of them combined allowed me to shake those island blues away.
Our first trip was very short. I went to my ten year high school reunion in Maryland, and that was certainly a blast from the past. We stayed in Maryland for four nights and three days (most of which was travel time) with our friends in Rockville. For the first time since I left Maryland almost 8 years ago, I had a friends only weekend. There was no family and no pressure. Just us friends, like old times. Sorry family, but we do see you every time we are there (well, almost for some of you)! The friends only high school reunion weekend ended up being a blast, and it almost made us want to move back to Maryland. Until we got back to St. Thomas anyway...
During our trip to Maryland we:
 |
| Had a mini SCHS Marching Band Reunion. |
 |
| Ate at my favorite Mexican restaurant of about 20 years. The owner has known me and my brother since elementary school! Justin is with me in the picture though. |
 |
| Enjoyed an excellent beer or two for once! Especially since rum, cocktails and crappy domestic or imported beers are only available on St. Thomas |
 |
| Visited my childhood home. My home for 21 years. |
 |
| Visited the high school where I met my high school sweetheart. |
 |
| Went to my high school reunion with some great, old friends. |
 |
| Posed in front of a corn field Carroll County style. As the line in that country song goes, "You can take the girl out of the honky tonk, but you can't take the honky tonk out of the girl." Yes, I just quoted a country song. I think Hell just froze over, because I don't really listen to country except to annoy Justin. |
|
If you are unable to tell from the pictures, we had such a lovely and exciting whirlwind trip to Maryland for my high school reunion. I would love to a have another friends only weekend again in the future!
Not long after our return to St. Thomas, we went off island once again about two weeks later when we traveled to beautiful San Diego, California. I adored San Diego! Such great weather! What unique culture! I am glad we were able to go. We were even able to see a few old friends there too! One cool girl from high school and one amazing family friend who is like a third mother to me! I had so much fun I did not want to leave, and I was scheming for ways in my head to convince Justin to let us live here one day. Haha!
In San Diego:
 |
| I had a large and delicious $3.00 margarita! |
 |
| I visited the Pacific Ocean with my sweetheart! |
 |
| I enjoyed a few glasses of wine at Hotel Coronado with Sherry! |
 |
| I took in the sights. |
 |
| I enjoyed spending some time in the Gaslamp District. |
 |
| I made an all day trip to the world famous San Diego ZOO! |
 |
| I watched the elephants being fed by their caretakers. |
 |
| I was able to get up close and personal with a tiger. |
 |
| I also spent a lot of time in Balboa Park, where I visited the Japanese Friendship Garden and the Museum of Photographic Arts. All while admiring the architecture and flora and fauna! | | |
|
|
Our trip to San Diego was spectacular. I hope that you all have a chance to visit it someday, if you have not had the chance already. Our trip back to the VI was not so pleasant thanks to a two day stint in Miami, which was the result of Tropical Storm Maria sending life in St. Thomas into screeching halt. We made it back to St. Thomas on Monday, and we are happy to be back. At least until the next bout of island fever hits me. Hopefully we will have some more fabulous trips planned or visitors by then, because those sort of things really do seem to do the trick!
|
No comments:
Post a Comment